ONE in FIVE Campaign
A campaign that aimed to achieve further signature, ratificaton and implementation of the Council of Europe Convention on the protection of children against sexual exploitation and sexual abuse. The campaign ended in 2015 and is replaced by the European Day on the Protection of children against sexual exploitation and sexual abuse which is celebrated annually on 18th November, see https://www.coe.int/en/web/children/end-child-sex-abuse-day
Type of intervention
Public education, book/guide
Target groups, level of prevention and subgroups
- Additional Resource | Public education, book/guide | English, French, Dutch, Spanish, Russian, Maltese, Czech, Serbian, Catalan, Basque, Galician, Romanian, Swedish, Greek, Croatian, Turkish, Portuguese
The target population of the ONE in FIVE Campaign is children under 18 years of age and their parents and carers. The ONE in FIVE Campaign has two main goals:
- To achieve further signature, ratification and implementation of the Council of Europe Convention on the protection of children against sexual exploitation and sexual abuse (The Lanzarote Convention). This contains all of the measures needed to prevent sexual violence, to protect children and to prosecute the abusers.
- To equip children, their families/carers and societies with the knowledge and tools to prevent and report sexual violence against children and thereby raising awareness of its extent.
The Council of Europe, an international organisation made up of 47 European member states (http://www.coe.int) and in particular the Secretariat of the ONE in FIVE Campaign, the Secretariat of the Council of Europe Parliamentary Assembly and the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities.
The Council of Europe on the Protection of Children against Sexual Exploitation and Sexual Abuse is a major step forward in the prevention of sexual offences against children, the prosecution of perpetrators and the protection of child victims.
Mode and context of delivery
Providing material to ONE in FIVE Campaign partners which may be uploaded in several languages from the ONE in FIVE Campaign website (http://www.coe.int/t/dg3/children/1in5/default_EN.asp).
The ONE in FIVE campaign materials are available in: English, French, Italian, Dutch, Spanish, Maltese, Czech, Russian, Serbian, Catalan, Basque, Galician, Romanian, Swedish, Greek, Croatian, Turkish and Portuguese.
Level/nature of staff expertise required
The ONE in FIVE Campaign staff are staff members of the Council of Europe Secretariat with legal, communication or campaign management backgrounds.
Intensity/extent of engagement with target group(s)
The intensity and extent of contacts with the ONE in FIVE Campaign partners depends on the extent of each individual project Action Plan, outlined by the Campaign partners and the need for the partners to be supported. The ONE in FIVE Campaign Secretariat is available to provide help and advice to the Campaign partners.
Description of intervention
Please note that the Council of Europe 1in5 Campaign ended in 2015. The website still exist but is not updated.
The Campaign is replaced by the European Day on the Protection of Children against Sexual Exploitation and Sexual Abuse, which is celebrated annually on 18 November.
The figure ONE in FIVE refers to the number of children in Europe who experience some form of sexual violence. The figure includes all forms of sexual violence against children: sexual abuse, child pornography, solicitation of children though the internet and child prostitution. However, this figure may be drastically underestimated due to lack of reporting.
To reduce the figure from “ONE in FIVE” to “NONE in FIVE”, the campaign targets:
- Local, national and international policy makers and legislators
- National and local professionals and practitioners working with children, young people and their families, institutions and communities
- National human rights institutions, including those dealing specifically with children’s human rights
- Leaders of faith and religious communities, and voluntary youth and community groups
- Civil society and academia
- National and international NGOs and their coalitions
- The media
- The private sector (in particular the tourism and entertainment industries, Internet Service Providers etc.)
Various kinds of awareness-raising and information materials have been developed for the different groups targeted by the campaign:
- Handbooks and brochures about the Lanzarote Convention help campaign partners as they advocate ratification of this legal instrument
- Publications, reports and thematic studies highlight the state of research, good practices and innovative means of tackling sexual violence, whether in the form of sexual exploitation, grooming, sexual abuse or trafficking
- Material targeting specific groups (parliamentarians, the media, children, parents, teachers, social workers, local authorities, etc)
The ONE in FIVE Campaign is discussed on a regular basis at the level of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe. An evaluation of the major outcomes of the Campaign will be designed by the second half of 2015.
The ONE in FIVE Campaign website: www.coe.int/1in5. (no longer updated)
ONE in FIVE Campaign Secretariat
Council of Europe
F – 67075 STRASBOURG Cedex
Tel.: +33 (0)3 88 41 24 74
Information correct at 2015